Friday, January 26, 2007

Results from the Baltimore Presbytery

Well, the meeting of the Baltimore Presbytery was yesterday, January 25. I would be lying if I told you that there was not a lot at that meeting that had me close to tears. But I am trying to focus on the positive. After all, the Baltimore Presbytery has long been one marked by divisive debates and liberal theology. In November a resolution in favor of active lobbying for homosexual marriage in Maryland failed (although a substitute motion did pass that I still was not crazy about). The failure of the homosexual marriage resolution marked a move in the right direction (see the article on homosexual marriage under the philosophy section of the Ten Minas site if you want a detailed explanation of my stance on this issue).

Yesterday, the Baltimore Presbytery UNANIMOUSLY passed the following resolution:

"THE NATURE OF CHRIST
RESOLVED that the Presbytery of Baltimore continues to affirm the central Christian declaration of the full humanity and full divinity of Jesus Christ, in whom we find our unity."

If you could "read between the lines" and realize why specific words in this resolution were chosen, you may also be close to tears. I was distraught enough when I came home that I deliberately waited 24 hours before writing this post so that I would have time for prayerful reflection. And after allowing time and God to move my heart, I am able to see the positive. Regardless of the differences we had, every single person in that meeting agreed that Christ is fully human and fully divine. Again, it was a step in the right direction. Victories are being won in the Baltimore Presbytery that may not have been possible a short time ago. There is still a lot of work to be done in the hearts of the people who are leading God's flock in this area. They still need to stop trying to redefine God in man's image instead of vice versa. But God's hand could be seen in what happened here yesterday. Thanks be to God.

No comments: