Monday, February 25, 2008

Miley Cyrus / Hannah Montana

My 5 year old daughter is (as most little girls are nowadays) a huge Hannah Montana / Miley Cyrus fan. We couldn't afford tickets to the concert when it came here to Baltimore (at least not at the scalpers' prices), but she did recently get to see the 3D concert movie.

Anyway, Miley Cyrus was interviewed last night on the Barbara Walters special, and Barbara Walters asked her a very good question. She asked her whether she worried about going down the destructive path that so many other teen sensations have of late, including many who were Disney Channel stars (for those of you who don't know, Miley Cyrus' TV show, "Hannah Montana" airs on the Disney Channel). In answering the question she expressed deep sympathy for people who have gone down that path (apparently she knows Jamie Lynn Spears), but also talked about her Christian faith.

Many people have asked me if I worry about Miley Cyrus having the same downfall other teen sensations have had, and the example that may set for my daughter. Yes, of course I worry. But I can't stop her from looking up to people, and so far at least, Miley Cyrus seems to be setting a good standard.

2 comments:

Bill Reichart said...

I think, in light of your post, you may be interested in this post I wrote about Miley Cyrus and her faith:

http://www.christandpopculture.com/television/lessons-learned-from-hannah-montana/

Ten Minas Ministries said...

I read your post and found it very true. Very well said. I deal with those same issues with my daughter on a regular basis.

I don't know if you noticed or not, but I wrote another post dealing with the Vanity Fair issue:

http://tenminasministries.blogspot.com/2008/04/miley-cyrus-photos.html

Thanks for stopping by. God bless.

Ken